Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Back Down Memory Lane

"Hey Uncle Mike! Who is Troop?" Ah, my 14-year-old niece knows how to sound the death knell of my youth! We were cleaning out some bookcases for my impending move when she found a veritable treasure trove of my old cassette tapes...mostly from my days at G.W. Carver High School. Woo, man those things brought back some memories! I started playing some of those old school sounds and they took me straight back to 1989! Who doesn't remember the school dance where boyfriends and girlfriends were made? Come with me back down my own personal memory lane!

We had all of our dances at the Carver Gymnasium and I was in love with Jessie Parks! DAMN! She was the FINEST 17-year-old on the planet in my opinion, but in typical high school fashion, I couldn't let her know that. We stole a glance or two from each other as the night progressed and my boys prodded me to go over there and "pull" her, but I was calm and confident. My smooth words and the lure of the music was all I needed to win her heart, but I had to strike at the right moment, she would be Forever My Lady. The DJ decided he wanted to take us back to '85 with Ready for the World's Oh, Shelia, but that was too fast, couldn't risk my Brut...by Faberge...not being able to hold up to the strain...no...the song had to be magic, there had to be Something In My Heart!

I could see her dancing with one of my football teammates across the gymnasium floor to Guy's Groove Me, and I knew I'd have to make my move soon or all hope of capturing this epic beauty would be dashed! She didn't need him...she needed a man with Sensitivity...a man like me! I don't know if she was bored or tired, but soon she was sitting down on one of benches shooting down ever brotha that came over to ask her to dance, but I knew...I would be her Comforter. I was beginning to get a little nervous...were my boys right? Should I have spoken earlier? Then the magic happened, my prayers were answered, a smooth voice came over the loud speaker and said "Fellas, take your lady's hand, it's time for the slow jamz." I slowly walked over, checking my box cut fade for any out of place hairs and my patent leather shoes for any unsightly scuffmarks. My MC Hammer Banana Pants, faux silk shirt and bolo tie shimmered from the disco ball light, I felt like a Smooth Criminal. I extended my hand and said..."May I have this dance?" She looked my up and down, then looked at my hand...I felt dejected! Turning to walk away, she grabbed my still outstretched hand and said, I'd love to!" As I pulled her closer to me...the song started playing....

I can't wait to get to school each day
and wait for you to pass my way
and bells start to ring
and angels start to sing:"hey that's the girl for you
so what are ya gonna do?
"hey little girl!!!I LOVE YOU!!! (i love you so...)

I looked into her eyes and said..."It's true, you know." She said, "what's true?" And I said...All I Do Is Think Of You. So in response to my niece...who is Troop? Troop is only the greatest musical group in history with a lead singer sporting a chipped tooth! Whew!! I like the way Jessie played the Kissing Game! Now to find the box with the banana pants and the silk shirt!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home